10/19/2005

Why write a book?

Today I formally launched my book 100 Questions to Ask Your Software Organization. The official press release went out. The book is available for sale. But why write a book? What was I trying to accomplish?

I had been writing some form of the book in my head for 9 years. When I sat down to write the book, it popped out of me. I wanted to write a practical, easy-to-read, scalable guide for software managers and executives who have software organizations reporting to them.

As I walked into organizations as a full time employee or as a consultant, I was applying some of the same methods time and time again. I wanted a guide to remind myself about those methods. I wanted a concise mechanism to help communicate with the team about my methods and my intent. I wanted a basis for discussion about better software management.

I talked to a lot of people along the way. One of those people was a venture capitalist who said he needed a better way to understand and evaluate software organizations in his portfolio. With that comment, I adopted the question format. I have been told by readers that it helps the momentum of the book. The questions lead the reader in the right direction and the words that follow strive to help the reader understand what is important to consider as they develop answers for themselves.

There is a crisis in this industry. Late and poor quality software are the norm and not the exception. Disgruntled and burnt-out employees are almost expected. Customers assume they cannot trust vendors based on real historical evidence.

We can do better. It is not rocket science.

Realistic budgets and roadmaps. Clear roles and responsibilities. Effective and efficient processes.

Leadership.

With this book I challenge you all to start a new dialogue. To begin anew. To be better.

More later ...

No comments: